I have booked a holiday…two in fact…the first of which happens in May. It involves a rather lovely resort on the hip and trend isle of Ibiza. I cannot wait…however this means that the quest to banish my muffin top is now even more serious. I have to up my game as I am determined to wear my bikini round the pool without hiding under a kaftan this year.
The thing is no amount of yoga, core strengthening or gym time is shifting it…it gets smaller and is a lot smaller than last year. I’ve gone from a size 18 to a size 14, although I still buy clothes that are too big because I can’t psychologically get my head round being a 14.
I need something else to help me, already I head to the gym and have signed up to the online fitness programme Instructor Live, but now I am delighted to be joining in the Slendertone shape up in six weeks challenge. I loved my Slendertone abs machine but I loaned it to a friend and unfortunately didn’t get it back despite asking. So when the Slendertone PR team were on the look out for bloggers to take up the challenge I put my hand very high in the air.
The Slendertone shape up in six weeks challenge has been designed by Slendertone and personal fitness trainer Nicki Waterman.
Over the six weeks Nicki has designed a realistic and achievable plan (important words for busy, time poor parents!) to get you in shape in 2015. She has rounded up the fastest at-home moves to kick-start long-dormant muscles and serve up a fit, toned body in a flash. Whizz through a 20-minute drill to target one trouble spot, or combine all three for a super-charged, full-body workout. Job done!
For maximum results, Nicki recommends incorporating a device from Slendertone (choose from Abs, Bottom or Arms) into your work out, using it for a minimum of 20 minutes a day, 5 days for a minimum of six weeks. Keep the intensity lower (results will still be maximised) when using whilst exercising and turn up the intensity when using the device on its own.
FORGET THE GYM
- MONDAY: THE DRILL – a 4 minute routine (no excuses for people with busy lives!)
- TUESDAY: 60-MINUTE POWER-WALK
- WEDNESDAY: THE DRILL
- THURSDAY: 60-MINUTE POWER-WALK
- FRIDAY: THE DRILL
- SATURDAY: YOGA/PILATES (at home)
- SUNDAY: REST
(Incorporate your chosen Slendertone product Mon – Fri. Please note it’s important to leave at least 48 hours between training the same muscle group). I have the Slendertone Abs belt as my product as this was my targeted area of choice.
NICKI’S TOP TIP: Maintaining a healthy lifestyle can be much easier with the support and motivation from the Slendertone range of toning products. Even just wearing one of the products can encourage better choices for yourself; you may find yourself moving more, skipping more calorie-laden food, and making other lifestyle choices that can contribute to weight loss.
With Slendertone, you’ll start to see results after four weeks, so you need ensure you stick to your plan and keep using your device.
NOTE: Please check with your doctor before starting any exercise programme
WEEK 1 & 2
YOU WANT TONED LEGS & PERT BOTTOM
This routine firms and lifts your bottom and creates long, lean leg muscles. And as the glutes are the biggest muscles in your body, activating them means you keep burning fat long after you’ve hit the showers.
The Prep: Before exercising, slip on the Slendertone Bottom Accessory. Start with programme one and as the six weeks go by it will cleverly auto progress through the programmes. You are in control of the intensity, start low and build up into a Slendertone professional, reaching up to 150! Slendertone products can be worn whilst exercising for maximum results.
Walk or jog for five to ten minutes to warm up, depending on your fitness level.
– Stand with 2 x ½ litre bottles of water on the floor in front of your feet. Squat and grasp the bottles with your palms towards you.
– Stand up, keeping your arms straight, easing your hips forward and pulling your shoulders back, then place the bottles back on the floor.
– Repeat 12 – 15 times, keeping your back straight throughout.
2.) SKI JUMPS
– Standing, lunge your right leg forwards, dropping your left knee to just off the floor, and keeping your front knee in line with your foot.
– Jump up and land in the lunge position with your left leg forwards. This is one repetition. Repeat 12 – 15 times.
3.) BURPEES (THESE KILL ME!)
– From standing, squat down and place your hands either side of your feet (on the floor), and shoot your feet straight back until your body is fully extended.
– Jump your feet back in towards your chest and then jump back up to standing.
– If you have back problems, place your hands on a bench rather than the floor.
4.) TOE SQUAT
– Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, holding a 1 ½ litre bottle of water straight out in front of you.
– Squat down, keeping your heels on the floor, then rise them, lifting up, balancing on your toes. Lower down to a standing position – that’s one repetition. Repeat 12 – 15 times.
Top tip: Continue this routine for six weeks using the Slendertone Bottom
WEEK 3 – 4
YOU WANT TONED ARMS
These moves tone every muscle in your arms, banishing bingo wings and giving you a feminine but defined shape. Plus the lunges and squats help to get your heart rate up so you’re burning fat as well as toning, allowing your hard work to shine through.
The Prep: Before starting, put on the Slendertone Arms Accessory. Start with programme one and as the six weeks go by it will cleverly auto progress through the programmes. You are in control of the intensity, start low and build up into a Slendertone professional, reaching up to 99! Slendertone products can be worn whilst exercising for maximum results.
Walk or jog for five to ten minutes to warm up, depending on your fitness level.
1.) LUNGE WITH BICEP CURL
– Stand, holding a ½ litre bottle of water in each hand.
– Take a long stride forwards, drop your rear knee to just off the floor, and curl your hands up towards your shoulders.
– Step back to standing while lowering the bottles. Repeat on the other leg.
– Keep your head up for good posture. Repeat 12 – 15 times.
2.) SQUAT AND UPRIGHT ROW
– Stand with your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart, holding a ½ litre bottle in one hand at the side of your hips.
– Squat down and, as you come back up, lift the weight up to chin height, leading with your elbows to keep your elbow high. Swap sides after you’ve held in position for 30 seconds on this arm.
– Try standing with your feet at different widths apart to vary the effects.
3.) BICEP CURL AND PRESS
– Stand, holding a ½ litre bottle of water in each hand, by your thighs.
– Curl your hands up to your shoulders with your palms facing towards you.
– Press your hands up above your head while rotating your palms away from you.
– Reverse the above steps to return to the start. This is one rep. Repeat 12 – 15 times.
4.) BENCH DIPS
– Sit on the edge of a chair with your hands holding the seat next to your hips. Move your feet away from the chair.
– Edge your bum off the seat, supporting your weight on your hands, leg straight.
– Bend your elbows to lower your bum as far as you can. Then rise back up to complete one rep. Do 12 – 15 reps.
WEEK 5 – 6
YOU WANT A FLAT STOMACH
Hundreds of sit-ups will not create a flat stomach, but working on your core, obliques (waist) and hard to-reach lower abs will. Here’s how…
The Prep: Before exercising, put on the Slendertone Abs Belt. Start with programme one and as the six weeks go by it will cleverly auto progress through the programmes. You are in control of the intensity, start low and build up into a Slendertone professional, reaching up to 150! Slendertone products can be worn whilst exercising for maximum results.
Step 2 (prep): Walk or jog for five to ten minutes to warm up, depending on your fitness level.
1.) REVERSE CRUNCHES
– Lie on your back on the floor with your arms at your sides, legs out straight and your feet raised about 12 inches off the ground.
– Breathe in and bring your knees in towards your chest.
– Extend your legs back to the start position, breathing out as you do.
2.) BICYCLE CRUNCH
– Lie on the floor with your legs and shoulders raised just a few inches off the ground.
– Keep your left leg straight and bring your right knee and your left elbow together as you rotate your upper body toward the leg.
– Return to the start and bring your left knee and right elbow together. Repeat for 30 seconds. Make sure you keep your lower back in contact with the floor.
3.) SIDE PLANKS (KILLER!)
– Lie on your side, propped up on your elbow with your forearm in front of you. Your feet, knees, hips and shoulders should all be in line, one hip resting on the floor.
– Lift your hips up, breathing out as you do. Repeat 20 times.
– Engaging your tummy muscles, hold for 15 – 30 seconds before lowering down. Switch sides.
4.) THE TWIST
– Lie on your back with your arms stretching out. Place a football between your bent knees and lift your legs off the floor. Squeeze the ball between your knees.
– Slowly lower your knees to one side, and return to the centre, then lower to the other side and return to the centre.
– Remember to keep gently squeezing the ball. Repeat for 60-seconds, alternating sides.
Clinical trials revealed that 100% of users reported firmer, more toned abs with an average 1.4” waist reduction due to toning of muscles, when they wore the premium Slendertone Abs belt for the recommended usage of 20 minutes per day, five days a week. What’s more after four weeks you can maintain your results using the product just three times a week.
None of the above exercises are difficult or require you to go out and buy loads of gear. I am already a member at the local gym, but getting there some nights if I can’t get a baby sitter is difficult. So combining this with my new Instructor Live workout sessions means I can still fit in a good intense 20 minute work out and work on getting that bikini confident body for my holidays.
Anyone else working on fitness goals for their holidays? If so I’d love you to join in the Slendertone shape up in six weeks challenge even if you don’t have a Slendertone product you can still do all the above exercises and start that journey to feeling amazing.