I got tweeting with the lovely Lakeland Books this week on twitter who are a family run business supplying quality children’s story, learning and activity books across the UK. We got talking about books as we are big readers in this house and I asked them to let me know the top five books for children starting school in September.
As Roo is starting school we are talking to her about all the new experiences she will have and showing her new books and getting a mix of learning and activity books for her to use at home in an attempt to make the transition smoother for her when she does start. So I was genuinely interested in what they suggested would be good books for us to have around the house and also though other mums might be too. I’ve seen a big shift in what Roo likes to read lately and we were lucky enough for Giles Paley-Phillips to send us his new book The Fearsome Beastie and a selection of other titles including Grandma Bendy and The Jelly That Wouldn’t Wobble to read a few weeks back which are proving big hits at bed time because they are what I call proper ‘rib tickling’ stories and great for the imagination.
The current 5 best children’s books are all available from Lakeland Childrens Books and are aimed at 4 year olds about to start school.
- Tickety Tock Clock Book published by Brimax Publishing is an excellent way to teach young children to tell the time in both digital and analogue.
- Animal Alphabet published by Brown Watson is a bright attractive hardback book to help establish the alphabet in children.
- Picture Dictionary also published by Brown Watson is a good basic tool to assist the young develop their vocabulary.
- My Little Book of Nursery Rhymes again published by Brown Watson is one of many basic nursery rhyme books on the market. This particular book is in quite a small format, ideal for small hands, and has an attractive padded cover.
- First Questions and Answers is a series of books published by Miles Kelly. Excellent books to encourage the young enquiring mind of children at the yearly stages of their education. In paperback format with many bright illustrations.
These are just five of the good quality books available from the ever growing range at Lakeland Childrens Books and which can be purchased via their website. You can also follow them on twitter for the latest news and updates on new book titles and special offers.